Employment Temporary Visas

Employment Temporary Visas

Temporary Work visas

A temporary worker visa is a nonimmigrant visa for individuals who wish to work temporarily in the United States. There are several categories (“classifications”) of temporary worker visas. Some of these classifications have annual limits. The applicant’s qualifications, type of work to be performed, and other factors determine what type of visa is required under U.S. immigration law. Below is a summary of some of the more common work visas.

E Visa – treaty traders, treaty investors, and certain “specialty occupation” professionals from Australia

H-1B Visa – individuals with bachelor’s or higher degrees in the specific specialty to work in “specialty occupations”

H-2A Visa – temporary agricultural workers for jobs for which qualified U.S. workers are unavailable

H-2B Visa – temporary nonagricultural workers for jobs for which qualified U.S. workers are unavailable

H-3 Visa – individuals seeking non-medical education and non-graduate training not available in their country and individuals participating in a special education exchange program

I Visa (Journalists/Media Visa) – representatives of the foreign media traveling to the U.S. for their profession

J Visa (Exchange Visitors) – participants in exchange visitor programs in the U.S. through a designated sponsoring organization

L-1 Visa (Intra-Company Transferee Visa) – employees whose multi-national company employers seek their services in the U.S.

O Visa – individuals with extraordinary ability in science, education, business, or athletics, and their assistants

P Visa – internationally recognized and culturally unique entertainers and athletes

Q-1 Visa – participants in U.S. government-approved international cultural exchange programs

R-1 Visa – ministers and religious workers

TN Visa – Canadian and Mexican nationals with the necessary North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) professional qualification credentials

Immigration News